What are terpenes?
Terpenes (pronounced ter-peenz) are a large and diverse class of aromatic organic compounds that are both potent and pleasant smelling. In basic terms, terpenes are what give products its aroma and flavour. We like to think it adds the personality to your products. Terpenes make up the largest percentage of essential oils contained in plants. In the same way aromatherapy works, inhaling the scent of certain terpenes in nature has been associated with a boost in emotional well-being. The sweet, floral scent of the terpene, linalool (found in lavender) has a calming, sedative effect. Limonene, a terpene found in citrus fruits and peppermint has a mood-elevating effect, while pinene, found in sage and conifers has been shown to aid in alertness and memory retention. View our wide variety of terpene strains to learn about each products effect.
Is it safe to consume terpenes?
Short story: No, not in their concentrated form.
Long story: Terpenes are highly concentrated and require dilution. Though they are food grade and derived from natural plants and fruits, they should not be used at full concentration. We suggest that terpene dilution be done carefully and accurately to a maximum of 5% by weight in your formulation.
What is the recommended use for terpene ingredients?
Our ingredients are recommended for use with various concentrates and should not exceed 10% of your finished weight of material. Terpenes can be well integrated into product formulations at low temperatures for best results.
How do you dilute terpenes?
Firstly, wear appropriate personal protective equipment such as gloves and eye protection. To successfully dilute, mix 1%-5% w/w of the terpene into your carrier of choice. Please ensure you fully understand the dilution process and the appropriate uses of terpenes. Enjoy safely! Please see SDS for more information.
What is your statement of limited product liability?
It is the user’s responsibility to ensure safe conditions for handling, storage and disposal of the product, and to assume liability for loss, injury, damage or expense due to improper use. The safety information provided relates only to terpene products and not to its use in combination with any other material or any particular process and is designed only as guidance for the safe handling, use, processing, storage, transportation, and disposal and should not be considered as a guarantee or quality specification. This product has not been evaluated for safe use in e-cigarettes or any vaping application where the product(s) is/are intentionally vaporized and inhaled. Flow Scientific has performed no testing on these products in e-cig/vaping applications. It is the sole responsibility of the individual(s) purchasing this product to assess its’ safety in the final application. Product safety information is based on data provided by and collected from recognized sources such as distributors, manufacturers, and technical groups and is accurate to the best of Flow Scientific’s knowledge. It is the responsibility of the user to review all safety information about this product and determine its safety and suitability in their own processes and operations. Appropriate warnings and safe handling procedures should be provided to all handlers and users, taking into account the intended use and the specific conditions and factors relating to such use in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.
Flow Scientific Product Safety Information – Terpene Ingredients
- For use with extracts, oils, and concentrates at a rate not to exceed 10% of finished material weight.
- When used as directed product is compatible with vapes, topicals, edibles, beverages
- Packaging contains orifice reducer or stopper to properly contain ingredients remove prior to use if necessary and replace to store any leftovers.
- Follow related operating procedures or formulation instructions when mixing ingredients.
- Best used within 12 months of purchase.
- Store products in a cool dry place between 0˚ and 25˚ C degrees
- Do not expose to direct light or heat prior to use
- For easy formulating visit our terpene calculator
- Do not use if safety seal is broken
- Product intended for use at low concentrations, not to exceed 10%
- Read the warning labels on the product and consult the product safety datasheet for more information on the occupational health and safety consideration flowscientific.ca/safety